Thursday, January 22, 2009

Conversations With Belly

I watched my nephew, Jonah, take a skiing lesson.  He is three years old.  He held my hand as we walked to the mini-mountain and his ski boots made him robot-like.  So I called him Robot Boy.  He loved it.  He started talking like Wall-E.

When we returned to the house later that day Meesh was sitting by the fireplace.  Jonah ran over to her belly and said "I put hand on belly" the way a robot would.  He touched the belly and said "hi mr. baby I am robot boy...want to go skiing?"

Then Benjamin, my five year old nephew ran over...pushed Jonah out of the way and screeched "i want to touch the belly."  A fight ensued.  Whether over legos or toy trucks, markers or the remote control or yes, a pregnant belly, you can trust brothers to argue.


2 comments:

bex_newman said...

matty, catching up on ur jan blogs
& yes, lol, now everyone in the house wants to know what i am reading. love ur writing.

Brucenstan's Momma said...

i wanna touch the belly!!! oh god that reminds me of... me entire childhood. so awful to know that i was the pusher, not the one being pushed. i was the older one. i felt totally justified though in doing the physical pushing because in my brain i was reacting to being pushed... emotionally. by the sheer existence of my little brother, being called cute by everyone, instead of me. and whatever else. touching my dolls and messing them up. getting to spend the limited time we had with our dad (who was always traveling) doing boy things that i wasn't allowed to do. i mean, he got to take his shirt off when it was hot out but i had to wear mine because... "i was a girl" -- as a kid, what the heck does that mean? well, i will tell you, it means you hate your little brother. let's just hope one day they grow up and work this stuff out. i know i did. although i had to go thru a long hating my parents instead of him phase first. but hey, family usually comes around. love you matty!!! how crazy we are all going to be on the other side in the next couple years. we're the parents now!?! WHAT!?!?