Friday, November 14, 2008

Driving To Alanis

Meesh's long week plus my long week equals...drumroll, please...ARGUMENT!

Right before we left the house last night to go to Alanis Morissette's concert, Meesh said "I have an early morning and I can't be out until 1 a.m."

Well, I thought, what praytell is she really saying? The concert begins at 8 (opening act Alexi Murdoch...a super mellow folk singer) and then Alanis goes on. 1 a.m.? We are going to the Orpheum theater and sitting in proper seats. To see Alanis. 1 a.m.? Not Metallica. There is no raging after party. Just a handful of introspective Alanis-y songs.

I kept hearing 1 a.m. as I drove toward the Orpheum theater. So I did it...did what I should not have done. I asked "What are you REALLY saying when you say 1 a.m.?" Tension begins. "I'm saying that I have to get up extra early for work and that I can't be up until 1 a.m." I respond "I get that, but do you really think we are going to be out that late?" She says "If you want to stay I can take a cab." WOAH!! I say "Can't we just go to the concert and see what we are feeling? Can't we go before we leave?" 1 a.m.? That is like saying "I know we are going to hear Marianne Williamson speak but I just don't want to rage."

I then took it too far. "I've had a long week. I was so looking forward to going to a concert with you and just having fun. And it feels like you are already giving our evening guidelines." UH-OH. "I have a job (stab-i currently do not) and I'm pregnant (double stab- i am not currently pregnant.)" Well, I thought, thank God she told me she was pregnant. I was wondering why the growing belly, all the UPS packages from maternity stores, the donut cravings. We continued to bitch at each other for a few more minutes. I think we both wanted to be mad at someone for the overwhelming week we both had. So going to an early concert at a proper venue is as good a hook for arguing as any.

Got to the concert. I got a beer. Meesh got a coke. A COKE!! A coca-cola. Concert ended at 10:30. Home by 11. Because of the Coke, Meesh didn't fall asleep until 1:45 a.m. Are you laughing?

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Laughing? I am peeing in my pants (maybe literally).

ChloƩ Jo said...

Someone get me a vagina clip, STAT.

Brucenstan's Momma said...

yeah. i miss you guys.