Monday, November 3, 2008

Her Bump, Her Bump, Her Lovely Lady Bump

Let me say this first...there is nothing more beautiful than a pregnant woman. My wife especially. Phew, that's out the way!

This morning whilst trying on her fifth outfit, Meesh said "Oh my God, my belly got so big overnight. Must've been the Mexican food."

You see, we went to a birthday party last night. A mexican-fiesta birthday party. And Meesh ate a cute, little plate of food: one corn tortilla (the mini kind) some shredded lettuce (iceberg) and some fix-ins (black beans, sour cream, guac). And then for dessert a small scoop of vanilla yogurt and a piece of chocolate chip cookie.

Um, babe, your belly didn't grow overnight because of the Mexican food. It grew, shot in the dark here, because you are getting very pregnant.

Well, lesson learned. Let her believe it was the Mexican food. Not the baby growing in the belly. Why? Because this was her response to my intimating it could be, may just be the baby.

"Matt, you don't know what it's like to keep growing out of your clothes."
False: I have fat days.
"Matt, you don't know what it's like to not be able to pull your boots off with ease."
False: Why just the other day, when it rained (only time this year in Los Angeles) I spent the better part of 20 minutes pulling my Fisherman Rain Boots off my legs.
"Matt, I feel like I'm getting so big!!"
This one was tricky. A: she is not getting SO big. But B: did you get the memo...this is kind of what happens when you get pregnant. Like, um, you like get like bigger and crap.

Well, here's a memo for you guys. Just say "it was totally the Mexican food...it did seem extra bloaty what with all that MSG (even if MSG is only in Chinese food)." And say "That must be annoying to keep getting bigger. I can't relate but I can sure empathize...scratch that...baby, this may sound wicked odd, but you get more beautiful everyday your belly grows." And also "I think women who take their boots off with ease are total pussies."

1 comment:

megabrooke said...

hey matt--
been a long time reader of your wife's blog and thought i'd make my way over here.
congrats to the two of you! wishing you both lots of happy times ahead.
so cool to read it from the husbie/dad to be perspective, by the way:)